TRIAL OF HARADINAJ, BALAJ AND BRAHIMAJ ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY
The defense teams of three former KLA commanders, Ramush Haradinaj, Idriz Balaj and Lahi Brahimaj, tell the Trial Chamber they don’t intend to contest the evidence presented by the prosecution. The closing statements have been scheduled for 21, 22 and 23 January 2008
Ramush Haradinaj, Idriz Baljaj and Lahi Brahimaj in the courtroom
The trial of former KLA commanders ended unexpectedly. The defense counsels of Ramush Haradinaj, Idriz Balaj and Lahi Brahimaj informed the Trial Chamber yesterday that they didn’t intend to call any evidence. The defense, obviously, believe that the prosecution failed to prove their charges and they have no case to answer.
The Trial Chamber ordered the prosecution and the defense to deliver their closing briefs by 14 January 2008, and their closing statements are scheduled for 21, 22 and 23 January 2008.
Ramush Haradinaj, Idriz Balaj and Lahi Brahimaj are charged with the crimes committed by the KLA in the Dukagjin area in Kosovo in the spring and summer of 1998. According to the indictment, they are responsible for the deaths of several dozen Serbs, Roma and Albanians whose bodies were discovered in the Radonjic lake canal in early September 1998.
- Case : Haradinaj et al.
- 2007-11-28 US DEFENSE COUNSEL VS. ICTY PROSECUTOR
- 2007-11-26 PROSECUTION HAS NO MORE WITNESSES IN HARADINAJ ET AL. CASE
- 2007-11-21 KABASHI AGAIN REFUSES TO TESTIFY ON KLA COMMANDERS TRIAL
- 2007-12-14 HARADINAJ AND BRAHIMAJ PROVISIONALLY RELEASED
- 2008-01-15 PROSECUTION CALLS FOR 25 YEARS IN PRISON FOR HARADINAJ, BALAJ AND BRAHIMAJ
- 2008-01-21 BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT OR FOUNDATIONS ON SAND?